Monday, December 21, 2009

Friday, December 11, 2009


Detail of a murder mystery book cover entitled "Endangered Species" by Nevada Barr, published by Harper Collins / Avon.
To see the entire piece,
click here.
acrylics on illustration board

Friday, December 04, 2009


Detail from a Macy's poster I did a few years ago. It's acrylics on illustration board. To see the entire piece, click here.

Sunday, November 22, 2009


This is an attempt at a technique that Sam Weber demonstrated last winter at the Arts Forum. It involves doing something akin to a monoprint with acrylics, then painting the values and detail with watercolors. Mine was only marginally successful with these materials, so I did some fairly major tweaking in Photoshop.
Here are a few steps after the initial acrylic monoprint was done. It begins after a little of the face was started with watercolors. I wanted to document the acrylic part but it goes really fast and there's no time to stop and photograph it in progress.

Friday, November 20, 2009


This is a piece I did for a very good friend who plays violin for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. She runs an amazing summer chamber music program for very talented high-school kids in Atlanta called Franklin Pond Chamber Music. The group meets at her home, which is actually on a pond that is a frog haven, so the frog quartet was a natural theme. It was done entirely in Photoshop, aside from the instruments which I photographed and composited in to the artwork.

Friday, October 16, 2009


Graphite on bristol paper with digital color.

Monday, September 28, 2009


The Ivory Billed Woodpecker showed a pattern of decline for decades until it was finally declared extinct in the mid 1900's. There have been a few unofficial recent sightings in remote woodlands, and some groups are continuing to search for the Ivory-Bill, but it may be just a memory.
Of course, the checkerboard pattern of the graph also helps legitimize the image;-)

Friday, May 22, 2009


Black prismacolor on coquille paper and linen weave paper with digital color.

This is the black and white drawing before digital coloring. It's a bit unusual in that in incorporates two different papers to achieve the textures; the clothing, or fabric areas are done on linen-weave acrylic paper which gives a woven texture to the drawing. That paper was carefully cut out and glued on to a sheet of fine Coquille paper, which has a texture of random, raised organic shapes. When you draw on each with a black Prismacolor pencil, you get two distinct textures which can be reproduced as "line" art, meaning that it doesn't have to be converted to halftone, as a grayscale drawing would be.

Here's a close-up of the two textures:

Friday, April 24, 2009


Not exactly Shakespeare, but it does take place on a stage. It was done to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Atlanta College of Art (see the number 100 anywhere??).

Sunday, April 19, 2009


Pigs flying, impossible constructions, multiple points of view...all indicators of things that can not be, yet actually came to pass!
Mixed media plus Photoshop

Thursday, April 02, 2009

The Key

This was done as a process demo for one of my classes, and I offered it up for auction to a very worthy cause: the Art Fundraiser to Benefit the Atlanta Animal Welfare Committee. The auction/gala was this weekend... see comments below!!

Friday, March 20, 2009


This was done as a book cover for a murder mystery called "Copy Kat" by Karen Kijewski. It was painted with airbrushed acrylics on illustration board, then some Photoshop effects were added later.

Thursday, February 12, 2009



This piece was done for an article for Airbrush Action Magazine. The article was about using lace and other materials to airbrush through to get "lacy" effects. Several different paper doilies and lace patterns were used here to get that heavy brocade robe and the fancy collar.
The artwork was done with acrylics on gessoed masonite panel. The brick background was added later in Photoshop to give it a dark, catacomb look.