Sunday, November 22, 2009
This is an attempt at a technique that Sam Weber demonstrated last winter at the Arts Forum. It involves doing something akin to a monoprint with acrylics, then painting the values and detail with watercolors. Mine was only marginally successful with these materials, so I did some fairly major tweaking in Photoshop.
Here are a few steps after the initial acrylic monoprint was done. It begins after a little of the face was started with watercolors. I wanted to document the acrylic part but it goes really fast and there's no time to stop and photograph it in progress.
Friday, November 20, 2009
This is a piece I did for a very good friend who plays violin for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra. She runs an amazing summer chamber music program for very talented high-school kids in Atlanta called Franklin Pond Chamber Music. The group meets at her home, which is actually on a pond that is a frog haven, so the frog quartet was a natural theme. It was done entirely in Photoshop, aside from the instruments which I photographed and composited in to the artwork.